Monday, January 9, 2012

Button Mushrooms Simmered in Juice (aka White Wine Mushrooms Sans the Wine--sure, why not)



Recently, I made Pioneer Woman's Turkey Tetrazzini. And I realized a few important things about myself. 

1. I don't like turkey leftovers that are cooked into a casserole or soup. I like turkey leftovers, oh yes I do. I like them as themselves, with leftover potatoes and stuffing. Or used cold in salads and sandwiches (yummmm....). But for whatever reason other forms of leftover turkey don't work for me. 

2. I love mushrooms and should buy them more often and make more stuff with them and tell them all my secrets and otherwise be best friends. The first part of the (somewhat fussy) tetrazzini recipe involved sauteeing mushrooms in butter and then simmering them in white wine (I used white grape juice). Truly I should have stopped there because I fell in looooove and kept picking mushrooms out throughout the cooking process. 

Why did I use juice instead of wine? Well, I did it because this is a non-drinking family and thus we never have wine on hand. However, I have to say that using juice instead of wine is also an excellent cheapskate thing to do. You still get a sweetly simmered mushroom, but it costs a lot less. 

White Wine Mushrooms Sans the Wine--sure why not
Serves 2-4
Prep time: 2 minutes
Cook time: 10-15 minutes
Cost: $1.75
mushrooms: 1.49, butter: .12, white grape juice: .14

1 lb mushrooms, all the dirt scrubbed off and mushrooms cut into quarters
2 Tbsp butter
1/3-1/2 C white grape juice 

Melt butter in a saucepan. Add quartered mushrooms and simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add grape juice and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce a bit and boil until the juice is almost gone and you have just a bit of syrupy buttery yum left in the bottom of your pan. 

Serve hot. Try not to burn your mouth or to eat the whole lot. Because that's a lot of 'shrooms. Not that I know from experience or anything. Also, try not to lick off your buttery juicy plate. Although I won't judge you if you do. No, I definitely will not be casting the first stone there. 


And here's a picture of the finished product. My excuse for its ugliness is that we have a new camera and, although eventually this should make my pictures better, there's a bit of a learning curve, especially for someone as technically impaired as I. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...